Steeped in Romance
By Christine Rillo
Tea by Candlelight
Romance might not be the very first thing that comes to mind when you look down at your typical cup of tea. For some people, they make think of it as only a panacea when one is ill or something reserved only for fussy occasions. However, if you're reading this, you're probably an established tea buff amongst your friends and loved ones, or one in the making. You see tea as an everyday indulgence and luxury, something to be savored and is necessary to make your day right.
Tea can be helpful to infuse a little romance and excitement in your life. Whether you are happily taken or sensationally single, the gift and experience of tea is something to be shared with. Here are a few reasons to make a big old pot of some Camillia sinensis come the 14th.
- Fancy dinners requiring lots of planning beforehand. If you're not in the mood to find the perfect restaurant for two, or hate splitting the check, invite your loved one or group of friends over for a tea tasting. Make up several pots of your favorite tea, and give them a blind taste test. Try to offer a variety of teas so they can taste the nuances that make them so different. If you want to take things up a notch, arrange for a blind tasting. Among friends, it can be very fun if everyone keeps tasting notes and debates on what their favorite teas are. And if you're doing it one-on-one, light some candles and create an intimate experience. You'll find that your sense of taste will be heightened if blindfolded.
- Drinking tea can provide some help in the oral health department. Tea contains fluoride, which helps protect tooth enamel, fight bacteria that causes cavities, and can aid in the prevention of tooth decay. Also- no coffee breath!! So drink up and pucker up! Check out tea-infused mints on the market, like Sencha Naturals for a fun way to freshen your breath.
- Tea contains theanine, an amino acid present in Camilla sinensis, which helps with focus, relaxation, and your mood. Taking tea can help focus on the task at hand and keep you on track if you're tackling your favorite activity, whatever it may be!
- A cup of black tea contains about 50 mg of caffeine. Though this is not as much as coffee or soda, it can provide a good enough boost of energy without that awful 'crash and burn' feeling the former beverages can give you. Charge up before a night out on the town with your friends or before a big date to ensure that you're ready for wherever the night may take you!
- Though Camilla Sinensis does not contain any sort of aphrodisiac-like qualities, it is very easy to find teas that can promote the same type of euphoric feeling. Look for teas that contain ginseng (like our Ginseng Green), almonds, vanilla, and of course chocolate! The smell alone of most finely blended teas will instantly perk up ones senses. Tay Tea's has a beautiful line of blends teas with romantic and provocative names like Duchess' First Love, Marry Me Again, and Better than Sex.
- Be good to your heart! Tea is quite the healthy drink, so swap out drinks that contain a lot of artificial ingredients, and introduce it to those who are sugar junkies. Turn them on with the idea of antioxidants, polyphenols, and vitamins- all available in one cup.
- Writer's Side note- there is something inexplicably attractive about watching a man make tea. Just putting that out there.
Happy Valentine's Day!